With Valentine's Day upon us, The Wall Street Journal has some words of wisdom on matters of the heart.
There's a debate among marriage therapists: Are you supposed to put a partner's wishes and needs ahead of yours or not? Well, The Wall Street Journal answered that question pretty clearly with an article they ran subtitled, "People Who Put Their Mates' Needs First Make Themselves Happier Too."
The newspaper has a list of 10 ways you can show what's called "compassionate love" and hopefully improve your relationship:
- Put your partner's goals first.
- Try to understand your partner's thoughts and feelings.
- Accept, don't judge.
- Be open to your partner's requests.
- Modify your plans for your spouse's sake.
- Express tenderness and caring.
- Go out of your way to 'be there.'
- Show respect and admiration.
- Show you value your partner.
Meanwhile, it's still not too late to do something special for the big day. But where to find the best prices on flowers? I'll tell you!